A Major US Metal Manufacturer
The Client Ask:
Conduct kaizen style event to help improve throughput and increase capacity while achieving cost reductions.
Plant Attributes at Project Start:
Recently relocated equipment, multiple sets of common equipment, high volume, high mix, a very competitive industry.
What We Did:
Working with the cross-functional client team we studied the product mix to identify dominant products. We then..
- constructed a high-level current state value stream map
- calculated surge takt time
- observed and documented the process continuously for 4-hours with one-second granularity
- constructed a pareto diagram of wastes observed
- developed several improved flow concepts
- asked “Why do we need more than one line?”
- rapidly prototyped several concepts
- challenged legacy machine cycle times
- proved new process several times
- documented new process standard work
- trained all area operators on new process.
Over the course of the project, the throughput increased by 20% allowing additional product to be processed on the line without additional assets (equipment or human)
An increase in capacity of 15+% was realized. The new process configuration removed two process steps which were no longer needed and decreased overall cost by an audited 2%.
This was a classic flow manufacturing project where we worked together with client team members to address a burning platform. We can do the same for you. We can also assist with larger projects.
What’s keeping you up nights? Chances are we’ve helped someone tackle a similar issue. We have 40+ years of experience, let us put it to work for you.
Give us a call to get started. (203) 225-0451. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.